Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Another thrift shop refashion - From Skirt to Top

I found a wonderful blog by a very talented French lady. She transformed a pleated knit skirt into a fashionable top! I went to my local Thrift store today and found this pleated skirt:
It is made with acrylic and nylon (not the best material - in fact, it ravels!) and it doesn't flare out as much as I would like. Nonetheless, I thought it would be a fun practice until a better skirt comes along.

I had to rip out the waistband because the elastic was serged right onto the band and it was way too tight for my hips. I folded the bottom of the top up and inserted my own elastic. I cut out the arm holes and sewed together the bottom of the skirt, leaving only a neck opening for the head. And now it looks like this:I'm pleased with my quick and dirty initial effort. I'm very pregnant right now so I may have to tweak the top later after giving birth (e.g. the length of the top and the gathering at the bottom). It took about an hour to do and now I have a new top to wear for my baby bump! I think it goes with the necklaces I made too! :-)

Merci beaucoup km17!!

1 comment:

  1. Merci beaucoup !

    Thank you for your comment about my blog and my upcycling ... Very cute your blue top !

    ReplyDelete