Saturday, March 31, 2012

Simplicity 4243 - Baby summer dress

The weather is getting warmer and I realized that my baby girl doesn't have enough summer clothes. So I went through my stash patterns and stash fabrics and found Simplicity 4243 and some remnants of a checkered fabric (I used the same fabric for my son`s shorts last year - he can still fit into right now...Yay!). After cutting and sewing 15 minutes here and there, I finally finished in 3 weeks. The pattern is actually not difficult to sew at all. It's just that I don't have much time these days. So the starting and stopping dragged the project out to 3 weeks.

I didn't read the instructions but just winged it by looking at the front and back pieces of the pattern. The pattern calls for a back zipper but I changed it to a buttoned back. I used stash denim double fold bias tape to finish the neckline and the armholes. I didn't curve them enough so they stand up a bit. I consider them 'features' of the dress! LOL~!

When my baby girl tried it on, she was not very impressed with it because she is not used to wearing dresses and she found that the dress impeded her crawling! I hope she will get used to it soon.

I like the pattern well enough. It's pretty simple to sew and it's easy to make design changes. I think I'll make the rompers in the same pattern next time. My baby girl is too busy crawling, standing, walking, and climbing to wear a dress. The rompers should be more practical for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment