Tuesday, March 19, 2013

2nd Hand Clothes and Shoes....and a long rant!

I am a big fan of Zoe of the blog 'So, Zo.....what do you know?'. She is a very talented sewist/refashionista and has lots of measured thoughts that I can completely relate to. She recently posted about her purchases of 2nd hand shoes (see here), which made me thing of how I consume as well.

I love sewing, thrifting, and refashioning for myself, my family and my house. I haven't shopped for brand new clothes and shoes for a long time (just a couple of slip ups) and this year, I have pledged not to buy 2nd hand clothes/shoes unless I/my family actually need them. It hasn't been difficult at all; it's not like there was a period when I was craving to shop at the malls. I just adapted to it naturally.

My hubby and my kids don't know or care that they wear home-made/home-refashioned/2nd hand clothes. My kids love the 2nd hand books and toys I got them. They don't bug us to buy new things for them when we go to the malls because we rarely buy anything in front of them (except groceries). I use homemade olive oil/coconut oil/beeswax cream for our family's skin care (see here for recipe). And I started washing my hair only with water (no shampoo/conditioner/gel/spray/etc) after reading about it on Meggipeg's blog (her hair is gorgeous!).

I don't think of myself as an early adapter of any trends. I rarely talk about my sewing/refashioning/thrifting/homemade creams because my family, friends and acquaintances don't react kindly to it. They often think of me as some cheapo-crazy-treehugger-radical. Or they think I was disapproving their consumption habits when I talk enthusiastically about something I made. I made the mistake of talking about the 'magic' of using a water/apple cider/olive oil mixture to detangle my toddler's tangly hair and just had the other mom roll her eyes at me (she was endorsing this tiny bottle of $40 all natural ingredients detangler for her kids).  I just wish that I could find another suburban mom like me in my town (somewhere within 10 km!! LOL!) who shares my passion of sewing/crafting/thrifting/making your own skin care and hair care products, and the curiosity for alternative ways to make a less-toxic life for ourselves and our kids. Perhaps I need to start a local mom group myself?

I think we living in the west think buying something will solve any of our issue/need/want. I'm trying to break away from that. When I go walking in the malls for exercise with my toddler (it's snowy and windy outside 6 months of the year), I actually love going into the higher end stores and look at the underworkings of the jackets, dresses and pants in case I want to copy them (yea the sales assistants were rolling their eyes at me - LOL)! And I like looking at the windows at H&M and Forever 21 to see how they put their outfits together.  I take pictures so that I can put together something similar from my closet. I don't feel bad going to shopping centres at all.

Sorry about the rant! Sometimes it feels a bit lonely just doing all these 'wacky' projects by myself and no one to share this with face to face. When I go to the local thrift store or the fabric store, I'm surrounded by seniors and the rare student. So if you also like sewing/crafting/thrifting/making your own creams, give me a holler!

6 comments:

  1. It is hard to be the only one. Can you advertise at a coop store or a health food store for similar folks to get together with? Good luck and keep it up!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks concretenprimroses for the suggestion. I have asked at the local charity store but they just stared at me blankly. I have also posted the question on a local moms' message board but had no answer. I haven't tried the health food store yet so perhaps that's where I should try next!

      Delete
  2. First up, thanks so much for the props. I'm so pleased that you enjoy my blog and feel you can relate to my sustainability views! Secondly, I TOTALLY understand how you feel about the reaction of friends/family. My husband's family in particular see my avoidance of mass-produced stuff as an attack on their own (usually unbridled) shopping habits. I think they probably call me all those things that have been levelled at you. It's tricky to have such a big part of your life that you'd like to share (the enjoyment you get from your projects) but for ease of relationships feel it's better to keep to yourself. AGH! At least we have the internets.

    Zoe xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe! I do feel better that others have similar experiences from their families as I have. Whenever my mother in law asked me if I had made/refashioned something the kids were wearing, she always asked in a concerned tone, 'do you guys have enough money? Do you need some for the kids' food or diapers'. I don't know if I should laugh or not!

      Delete
  3. congratulations on doing so much yourself. I too am increasingly sewing my own clothes and making my own soaps and detergents - which really doesn't go down well with my family - my father worked for one of the soap (and everything else) multinationals all his career. When I tell my family I make my own laundry detergent I can see noses turning up as if they suddenly think I am unwashed, and they then turn up at my place with detergent for me, as you say, as if I couldn't afford it myself! Oh well. Friends think I am crazy, but in a kind and "wow you are so talented, I could never do that" way, when in fact these things are so easy to do. Good luck finding like minded friends, and as you say, thank goodness for the internet where there are so many inspiring people doing so many fabulous things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks louize for your comment! That's awesome that you are making your own soaps and detergents. I have been using my vinegar/water all purpose household cleaner and had horrified looks from visitors when I told them! Just like what you have experienced, they immediately thought my house was infested with bacteria!! Hahaha! My MIL also bought me some harsh chemical cleaners and she wiped my cherished Indian wooden table without asking and stripped off all the natural oils/wax that was protecting the table. It dried up instantly and looked awful! It took me a long time to refurbish it with natural beeswax. Oh I could go on and on! LOL! But thank goodness for the internet where I could link up with like minded people like you!

      Delete