Saturday, March 9, 2013

Encore Pattern Review: Kwik Sew 2690 swim suit

I had such fun making my first ever swimsuit I knew I had to make another one. See this post for the first attempt. This time I used a red 20% lycra swimsuit material. I basically made it the same way, lining the entire suit with the same lycra fabric. The only variations were:
  • No more tie at the front. I just cut a rectangular piece of single layer fabric, sewed it down at the seam allowance, wrap the whole gathered front from the outside to the inside and then sewed it down again at the seam allowance on the inside.
  • I reduced the crotch length by 2cm (right at the crotch) because of my flat seat.
  • I adjusted the positions of the straps slightly.
  • I added more width ( about 1cm) to each of the bust cup area.

I was going to put cups into the bust but I didn't have any on hand. This suit definitely fits a bit better than the last one with my tweaks. I'm so happy to have 2 self-made swimsuits for this summer. Yay!


I like this pattern very much. It suits my body well now that I have tweaked it. I think 2 swimsuits are enough for me for now. If I do make it again, I would like to make one with some colourblocking or contrast piping. It's easy enough to make some unique looking suits with this pattern.


2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! Great going making your own swimsuit and altering it to fit you. A very flattering style which suits you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I was really surprised how relatively easy it was to make a basic swimsuit for an unsophisticated sewist like me. I was so terrified before I started making my first one and now I really don't remember what the fuss was all about.

      Delete