Sunday, March 17, 2013

Encore Pattern Review: New Look 6779 dress with sleeves

This is an encore pattern review for New Look 6779. Last time I made this sleeveless denim dress. This time I have made the same dress (size 12 again) with pockets and short sleeves with a hefty weight red linen. I have always wanted a red linen dress like Pippa Middleton (see below) and I have some stash red linen lying around, so I just made it quickly.
 (source: Instyle)

I think my choice of fabric is really not suitable for this dress. It's a pullover dress so it really needs some lightweight, drapey flowy material to look good. The heavy slightly stiff linen just didn't do this pattern justice. In the end, I ended up having to take out 4cm from the centre back because the dress was looking like a big stiff tent on me. On top of that the neckline would only stay flat if I don't move. As soon as I start walking it's moving all over the place and showing my bra straps. The sleeves and the chest area pull a bit (you can see the drag lines in the picture). Since I took out so much material from the centre back, I guess I should have done an FBA.

I tried to weigh the neckline down with 2 heavy metal buttons on each side of the neckline (like Pippa's dress). It works to a certain extend; but certainly not good enough.

I think I'll still wear this dress out for a test run when it's warmer outside to see if I would look foolish. I do like the look of the dress. Too bad the fabric was too stiff and heavy. I haven't given up on this pattern yet. I will try a flowy fabric next time.

5 comments:

  1. A set of Dritz shoulder strap guards will help keep your bra strap/shoulder seams aligned. They're in the Notions section at any fabric store.

    This is a really pretty dress on you. I LOVE the color. Keep rockin' the pattern, you'll get it!

    Coco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Coco for the tip. I'll go check it out at my fabric store this weekend.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Amy! I do want to test-wear this just to see if my hubby makes any curious comments. Usually he doesn't notice anything unless it looks really foolish or really lovely. Oh got to love that about men!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks HeathersSphere! I do hope it will become a wearable dress this summer!

      Delete