Monday, March 4, 2013

My Dresses for this Winter

I have 2 kids under the age of 4. In previous years, even when I didn't have kids, I rarely wore dresses or skirts in the freezing Canadian winters. It just wasn't practical walking in the snow, ice and sleet, I thought to myself. Well, I changed my mind this winter! It has been colder and more snowy this winter in our area than the last 5 years. But I had been wearing my me-Refashioned sweater dresses all winter long. I wear them with tights and my trusty bulky snow boots (yes the dresses would have looked better with tall slim leather boots but I ain't ruining my nice boots in the snow/salt/ice). The 100% wool dresses are surprisingly warm and comfy for the harsh winters. I only have to wear some long sleeves silk tunics/cotton t-shirts under the dresses. The stretchy sweater dresses are perfect for running after 2 active young kids, 'wrestling' with them when they have tantrums, etc. Who knew they would be so perfect for winters?

1. Navy 100% wool sweater dress: Thrifted for $7.99. I thought what a bargain. I like the style and it has 2 useful pockets in the front. It was a little big when I bought it. The only things I did were to repair a small moth hole at the back and shrunk it a bit in the washing machine. It's now a perfect fit!

2. Three Tone sweater dress: 3 men's all wool sweaters thrifted for a few dollars each. See this post for the refashion process of this dress. I made this when I was pregnant with my 2nd child. I have since altered the fit. It's a more casual fit than the Navy one above but very warm and functional nonetheless.

3. All black sweater dress: Originally a wool/acrylic mix turtleneck dress down to the floor. See this post for the refashion process of this dress. Again I made this when I was pregnant with my 2nd child. It was quite fitted then and it's still fitted now. I wear it mostly with me-made long sleeves shirts underneath.

4. Beige Black Colour blocked sweater dress: Originally a shrunken all wool beige sweater and a black wool sweater skirt. See this post for the refashion process of this dress. Again I made this when I was pregnant with my 2nd child. It was quite stretchy so I didn't need to alter the fit after the pregnancy. I wear it mostly with black long sleeves tees underneath.

2 comments:

  1. Perfect dresses for your busy day! My favourite is the last one - all very stylish...J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Judith for your comment! I thought the dresses have a bit more style than just sweat pants/tracksuits too.

    ReplyDelete