Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pattern review: Mccall 5671 dresses

Now back to clothing for the beach vacation this summer. Knit dresses definitely travel well and are easy to wear and care for. I used the Mccall 5671 pattern in my pattern stash and these yellow print and red floral cheapy bin polyester knit from my stash as well. I used a size 12 because for knits, size 12 usually fits me better (size 14 for woven).

The construction was super simple. The dresses came together really quickly. I made my usual short waist adjustment and shortened the hem. That was it! The bust actually fits without any tweaking which surprised me. That's why I love sewing with knits. If it was a pattern for woven material I would have to do an FBA. With knits - no worries! I didn't cut on the bias for the lower dress portion because with a drapey knit, I felt there was  no need. Also, I wanted the yellow print to be vertical on the yellow dress.

I highly recommend this pattern for the dress part. I have not tried the other pieces so I can't speak for them. I do think I will make more knit dresses with this pattern again!


NOTE: the red poly knit was clinging to my legs a bit because of the static in the winter. I should have no problems with static in the summer.



No comments:

Post a Comment