Sunday, March 31, 2013

Pattern review: OOP Butterick 6076 dress

This is an older OOP pattern from 1999. I am cleaning out my closets so I'm rediscovering a number of older self-made clothing. This is a Cynthia Rowley pattern with a strapless dress in 2 lengths and a beautiful knee length coat. I like the dress pattern so much that I made it twice!

The dress is strapless with boning on the sides. I like the simplicity of the dress as well as how easy and quick it was to sew together. Usually I don't do strapless because I have very broad shoulders/back and upper chest for my height and size and a strapless dress would highlight this. But this dress pattern somehow didn't emphasize my weird shape as much as I thought.

 I made the first dress in a hot pink cotton dupioni look fabric that I bought on sale at John Lewis Watford years ago. I used size 12 which was actually too tight for me. I did my usual short waist adjustment and shortened the hem slightly.
A couple of years later I had to go to a wedding so I made another one in a green poly taffeta. The taffeta has less give than the previous fabric so I added about 2cm to each side seam around the bust area so that I could zip it up. I got so many compliments at that wedding that no one believed I made it myself! (I guess I should have ironed it before taking this picture).
This is a very easy and quick dress to make and I highly recommend this pattern if you already have this in your stash. I'm glad I rediscovered this dress because I think I'll make another one in a floral cotton for this summer, just in case there is some sort of celebration coming up! LOL!

3 comments:

  1. What is your waist shortening trick? I've read that in a couple of your posts and am myself, very short waisted. Very seldom do I look in the mirror and say 'wow, this fits me well'. Looking for some tricks to increase my odds of making stuff I will wear :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I just fold out the excess length at the waist of the paper pattern and smooth out
      the curves at the seams.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your comment. I just fold out the excess length at the waist of the paper pattern and smooth out
      the curves at the seams.

      Delete