Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Odd Ensemble Part 2 - Pattern Review & Refashion: Simplicity 8764 Vintage-Inspired Dress

Remember that odd nun dress ensemble that I thrifted last week (see post here)? Well, I had refashioned the red-knit-sleeveless-button-down-duster part of the ensemble! I'm pretty happy with this 'Vintage-inspired-Rockabilly' dress! I was able to use the red duster as well as remnants of the black part to make up this dress (there wasn't enough red material to begin with).

I was looking through my pattern stash for inspiration and I found Simplicity 8764 from 1999. I think I had made a strapless dress with it a long time ago but I didn't wear it much and donated it soon after. The fit was fine but I was constantly pulling the dress up that became a nuisance. This time though, I thought I would add straps to this dress so it would be more secure.

I cut the dress front and back and I barely had enough. I had to cheat on the top because there wasn't enough fabric for the top. So I used the remnant of the black nun dress to create a band on the top. I sewed the button front opening shut. I used a zig-zag stitch to stitch on a 3/4" elastic around the top band. Then I zig-zagged elastic again to the straps and made the straps crossed at the back. I look at my button stash and found these plain black buttons that would fit the theme of the dress. I also created a back centre seam to take the extra material in. Everything was from my stash - I was too lazy to go out and buy anything anyways!! LOL!

The pattern was very easy and quick to sew up. It calls for a shelf bra but I didn't do it because I figured I would have to wear a strapless bra anyways. However on hind sight, I should have done a full slip because the knit is a bit thin and if I don't wear the right type of panties the panty lines will show. I really like these simple clean line patterns that allow one to add/customize them to one's own liking. I'm pretty sure I will use this pattern again to make some other knit dresses.



6 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks great! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I was pleasantly surprised that it worked out okay in the end.

      Delete
  2. This is so cute! I love the black and red/contrast. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like black and red too. They are my favourite colours!

      Delete
    2. That's a really good outfit!! I love this color combo too...
      Newest GFC followere here too-tooot
      MammaNene
      SergerPepper.blogspot.it

      Delete