Friday, December 13, 2013

Thrift store vs Mall Store: Price sticker shock

I have been buying garments/toys/books from Thrift stores or making them myself for so long that I forgot how expensive things can get in a regular mall store.

My son had outgrown his snowpants this past month and I needed to get him a longer one in a flash. I went to my usual thrift stores but they didn't have any in his size. It had already been snowing so that was probably why they were all out of stock. So I went into my local Target store (a medium to low end chain) to get him a new pair of snowpants. I got a real Price sticker shock! The cheapest snowpants at Target was $25 whereas I had been buying gently used boy's snowpants for less than $5! I could literally buy 5 pairs of these used snowpants for the price of a brand new one!

Fortunately a few days later I was able to find a used pair for my boy for $4.99. I quickly returned the Target snowpants. I was so relieved after that refund! I have lots of friends who never shop at thrift stores and always buy everything new. How are parents afford to dress their kids if they buy everything brand new these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment