Tuesday, January 21, 2014

In search for The Most Versatile Little Black Dress (LBD)

Like most women I'm always on the lookout for the most versatile Little Black Dress (LBD) - but of course I'm looking for THAT sewing pattern that can give me the most versatile LBD. I have accumulated a large quantity of sewing patterns in the last 15 years of learning to sew. I think this is the year that I make that versatile LBD. I have made/refasioned black dresses but they just didn't seem to be as versatile as I want them to be. For example:

1. The Safety Pin Dress. This is a nice cotton knit long sleeves dress that I pinned the safety pins to. It's actually pretty versatile. I can just take out the safety pins and wear it for the office (a bit short but with a jacket and opague tights it should look okay), to the bank, to school events, or even a funeral. With the safety pins I can wear it to a cocktail party, birthday dinner, company evening functions, etc. The only drawback is that it is long sleeves so it's good for all seasons except the summer.

2. The Black Sweater Dress. This is a great versatile dress except it's only for winter. It's super warm so not good for the other 3 seasons.

3. Stretch Velvet Halter Long Dress. Nice but not versatile. Obviously only for special occasions in the colder seasons.

4. Refashioned cotton mix stretch knit Tabot Dress. I really like wearing this dress in the summer. It's a good weight stretchy ribbed knit that doesn't require me to wear a slip and retains its shape. It's great for running after 2 kids. The only drawback is the ribbed knit material and the white trim on the neckline and armholes make it not polished enough for the office or funerals.

So after looking at these black dresses in my closet, it makes me wonder: is there really an LBD out there that is so versatile that one can wear it:
  • In all seasons
  • For all occasions - the office, funerals, special occasions, lounging, running after kids, etc.
  • Can be machine washed and tumble-dried (okay I can relax on the tumble dry criteria)
  • Requires no ironing
  • Can retains it shape for years
  • Doesn't go out of style
  • Is made of a material that can look polished and casual at the same time
So what do you think? Do you think the ultimate versatile LBD really exists out there? Do you have a versatile LBD that you would like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment