Monday, January 4, 2016

Wardrobe Cleanse - Goodbye self-made clothes!

I had not forgotten my rant late last year about the ridiculous amount of clothes I have in my wardrobe.  So last month I went through my wardrobe item by item, and took out the things that just weren't quite right. Many of them were self-made or self-refashioned clothing. I took pictures of the ones I really liked and then I put them into a big bag for donation. These are some of the items that are in the bag:

Refashioned Art Silk sari shirt - This is one of the first refashioning projects I did. I thrifted a length of art silk (faux silk) sari from a market in the UK and sewed a shirt with it. I used the gilded portion of the sari to make the cuffs and the covered buttons. I loved and wore it often and got loads of compliments for it. Alas, it just never fit right after having kids. It's too short and too tight around the chest. Too bad.....

Cotton gauze tunic - I made this very thin cotton gauze tunic from a Prima UK magazine pattern from 2001 (I think?). I loved it but it was a hassle to wear it because it's really almost transparent even with a white camisole under it. Not particularly practical to wear especially with kids.


Faux wrap knit top - I made 3 tops from the same New Look 6729 in different coloured knits. This is my least favourite. The fit is fine but the brownish pattern looks awful for my skin tone. It makes me look a bit dirty. So bye bye!

 Quilted Cotton shirt - I got this pinkish/salmon coloured quilted cotton off cuts from the cheapy bin and made a button down shirt with Butterick 4609. I quite like it but it's tight at the bust unfortunately. I should just do an FBA on the pattern and make some new shirts.

 2 Wool blend A-line skirts - I made 2 skirts for work with Simplicity 8550. They were well used before I had kids but now they fit strangely around the abdomen. Too bad! They were good quality wool too....



White linen drawstring shorts - I made these with the tried and true Butterick 5044. But white, see-through linen shorts with kids? Not a good idea really....

Silk floral top - I thrifted this silk floral dress that was too long and loose on me. I refashioned it into a dress that fit me. Then a year later I cut it off even more to make a top. However, every time I wore it, my hubby would comment on how matronly it looked on me. So bye!

Wool suit jacket - I made this Vogue 8137 jacket with a beautiful blue green tropical wool fabric. It's now too short and too tight around the chest. Also, the neckline is not flattering for my short neck. I could refashion it but I thought perhaps someone else can benefit from a fairly well-made wool blend jacket when I donate it. I also made matching straight leg pants that I am keeping.

So these are some of the items that I am donating. This is my little goodbye to each of the items. I hope they will go to a good home.....:-(

6 comments:

  1. These are all lovely garments and I am sure someone will love them. But you have done the right thing by getting rid of things that no longer work for you. You may feel relieved now they have gone and you don't have to look at them any more wondering what you should do. I know I always feel relieved after tossing things that don't work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! The first thing I think of when a garment doesn't fit me anymore is to put it into the to-be-refashioned pile. But that pile has been growing and I really have to get some stuff out of the house.

      Delete
  2. That jacket especially is a fantastic donation!

    I agree in purging things that you know you don't love. 1) why use up valuable space storing iffy garments 2) why waste time wearing something that doesn't make you feel your best and 3) reason to SEW MORE THINGS! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I pondered over the jacket because I thought I could refashion it somehow. In the end, I thought I would just make a new one and donate this one to someone else who can use it as is.

      Delete
  3. I think some women are going to be very happy to get these. They're all attractive and useful garments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I would have loved to give these to someone I know who would cherish them. But I don't know anyone with my unique body measurements. Unfortunately, many people I know do not appreciate hand-made garments these days. They only want brand name stuff.

      Delete