Sunday, February 19, 2017

Wardrobe Sudoku Contest: 4th Top New Look 6344 and Simplicity 5204

This is my 4th top for the Wardrobe Sudoku Contest. I found this striped cotton poplin with a slight stretch in my fabric stash. It had been there for years! If it wasn't for this contest, I would have totally forgotten about it. This contest is so great for my stash discovery and stash busting!

I was initially planning to use Simplicity 5204 to make a three quarter sleeves shirt with this fabric:

However, since the last tunic top with New Look 6344 went so well and fit so nicely on me, I decided to do a franken-pattern top. I would use New Look 6344 for the body and Simplicity 5204 for the sleeves. I have previously used Simplicity 5204 for a couple of linen shirts for the office and I liked the faux button up sleeve detail. But I had always dreaded a button up shirt as they tend to pull at the button front (I always end up 'wrestling' with the kids or carrying/moving heavy stuff).

I chose view C of New Look 6344 with the shirt collar and the sleeves of View D in Simplicity 5204. The shirt came together very quickly. I made my usual short waist adjustment. The buttons were also from my stash:

I think it looks fine and I'm pleased with how it turned out. It is versatile enough for the office or casual wear. It is basic enough that I can wear any colours with it. Yay! I have finished making all the tops for this contest! Now I need to concentrate on making the final bottom as well as 3 other accessories to complete the sudoku.

The review of this pattern is at PatternReview.

4 comments:

  1. Another great top and it will go with everything including accessories. You are doing so well, and you've given me ideas for how to select ready-made clothing.( I haven't sewn from scratch for years, but I thrift shop quite a lot and have quite a bit of choice.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I love thrift shopping as well. There are some real gems at the thrift shops. But I have to curb that because both my fabric stash and my thrifted-to-be-refashioned stash are just too large.

      Delete
  2. My goodness! Your top is gorgeous, and it will fit so nicely with the things you have already created!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! It's a basic piece that will probably go with everything.

      Delete