Saturday, May 6, 2017

MAGAM May Project 2 - Girl towel dress/deck dress

My kids are a bit spoiled in some ways. They know that if they see some sort of clothing or fabric accessories or soft furnishings that they like, or something that they need at school, they can just ask me to make it. And they would 'demand' it to be made in 24 hours while they were sleeping. Of course I don't promise to make it in 24 hours just because they 'demanded' it! LOL!

A few days ago my daughter saw a girl with a deck dress made with towel-like material and wanted me to make her one. She rummaged through our linen closet and found a large thrifted yellow towel. And she asked me not only a deck dress, but a 'towel princess dress' (whatever that is).

So I simply folded the towel in quarters, cut a hole for the head, use an existing top as a guide and cut out the dress.

Then I serged all the seams and used stash red bias tape to trim the neck line. I made the dress a bit big because I wanted it to last at least 1 year. The neckline was too wide so I made a simple pleat at the back neck edge:

My daughter seemed to like this towel dress very much. She actually danced and pranced in it. More power to her! :-)



2 comments:

  1. Aww, this is SO sweet! The bottom hem turns out like a ruffle! It's nice that your kids like your work so much that they "demand" it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it's only because they don't know any better! LOL! Once they have discovered 'brand name' stuff they will not be so happy with the mom-made stuff anymore.

      Delete