Saturday, June 10, 2017

Is a Summer Tweed Dress to hot to wear?

I had wanted to make a summer tweed dress for a few years now. I tried making one last year and it was a disaster.

So this year, I really want to try to make another one, especially after I have seen this incredible one on Pinterest:

The colour, the various self fabric trims.....it's a magnificent tweed dress! I'm salivating just looking at this picture. Of course I don't have that gorgeous tweed in my stash and I am not buying any new fabrics. So I'll have have to make do with whatever tweed I have. The only question I have is: is it too hot to wear tweed in the summer?

8 comments:

  1. I think on a mild summer day tweed would be fine - you can get lighter weight cotton mix tweeds. Wool may be too warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lighter weight cotton tweed (meant for home furnishings) in green. I wonder if that would work. Perhaps it would just be a spring/autumn type dress.

      Delete
  2. I think it would depend on the weight. And there are sometimes cooler days in summer, too. Otherwise, as you mentioned, there would be lots of chances to wear it in spring/fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! The temperature today was really hot and sunny at 28 Celsius. I guess I just miss the short period of spring that I could actually wear a tweed dress comfortably.

      Delete
  3. I think it does depend on the weather where you live. I think there are varying weights of tweed to try. I can understand your fascination with this garment! Love the rich colors of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! Perhaps it is for the best that the tweed dress be worn only in spring and autumn only.

      Delete
  4. So co-sign the lighter weight tweed made from a silk or a cotton one. Hopefully you have something like that in the stash. The other thing I would suggest is that you add a silk organza underlining so that you have something to sink stitches into besides the fabric. Are you thinking about lining it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the idea. I usually line every thing I make except for summer garments. I am worried that an extra lining will make the garment even hotter to wear. What do you think?

      Delete